Sunday, February 21, 2010

Atypical Sunday Mornings

One of my favorite parts of having a Sunday afternoon service is that on Saturday nights my hubby and I can still go on dates like we used to before he became a pastor. I know some of you reading would think, "You get to sleep in? Wow!" But quite frankly that's just an added bonus for my hubby. I'm a morning person and as soon as my eyes open up (usually never past 7 am) I am ready to begin my day.

Since our church service does not begin until 2:30 pm, I have tried different things over the course of this period to use my time wisely. One of the things I've tried recently is working out before church. I gotta tell you that it felt really awkward running on that treadmill and not sitting in a worship service rocking to "Amor Sin Condicion" on Sunday morning. But what made it even more peculiar was the fact that I wasn't alone. There were others who were there, too. Going on with their life without a hint of God. It was Sunday morning and it didn't seem that they had plans to go to church, which burdened my heart.

And why is it that my heart was troubled? They could've gone to church Saturday evening or maybe they don't do the whole church thing but still have a relationship with God. I hope it was the former and not the latter. You see, I don't believe that people are better because they attend church nor do I believe it is something we must do to get into heaven. However, what I do believe is that people that are not setting some time apart regularly to get involved with a community of believers are missing out BIG time.

You see my church IS my family. I wasn't created to do life alone. God created me to need people and to build friendships with those who would strengthen my walk with Him and those I could encourage along the way. Jesus says in Mark 3:35, "Whoever does God's will is my brother and sister and mother." Does that mean that if our family does not have a relationship with Jesus we need to excommunicate them? Absolutely not. What I interpret this to mean is that our church family, those who share the faith, are now also part of your family. We care for them as we would our own flesh and blood.

I don't pretend to have this church going concept down pat because quite frankly I don't. I struggle more than I may lead on to show with "going to church." On long weekends and teacher planning days, I would love to just pack up my bags and get away for a weekend with my husband but the truth of the matter is that it's just not something that we have the luxury of doing and probably something we will rarely ever get to do. You see my husband works 52 Sundays a year. Everything that he studies, prepares and prays for culminates on this very day, Sunday (rain or shine). And when I see my husband standing in front of the church and delivering God's word it makes it obvious why we do what we do. Any questions I may have had are instantly answered. Without a shadow of a doubt, he was made to do this and I was put in his life to stand by his side. I count this an honor and no weekend trip or get-away could or ever will take precedence over doing the will of God. Lucky for me, God has given me the entire summer off and I get to enjoy my hubby all to myself and travel then.

My friend, I don't know where you stand on your journey. I don't know what your status is. I don't even know if you believe in Christ or God for that matter. But I am here today to tell you not to waste your time. It is one of your most precious resources and as Benjamin Franklin once said, “Lost time is never found again.Start today: Connect to a local church, discover your spiritual gifts and use them to serve Him. It's the very least you could do for Him. And trust me you won't be doing anyone a favor. Remember God doesn't need you, YOU need Him.

Will you devote the rest of your life living for Him? I promise you that there is no greater joy in life than this: Relentlessly pursuing your creator all the days of your life.

"Remember your Creator in the days of your youth. "
-Ecclesiastes 12:1 a

1 comment:

Lori said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and becoming a follower! Please let me know if you ever need anything!!

I think you are a wonderful example of a Godly woman!!