Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Marriage: Dive In


Just recently, a group of seven ladies got through talking about everything from marriage to parenting. The thing that most struck a chord with me was when we were making some observations about our husbands and one of the ladies very wisely pointed out that although they have their flaws what matters most is that they are strong where we are weak. In essence, they complement us.

The truth is that marriage is hard work. Day in and day out it requires commitment, unyielding determination and selfless love in order for the relationship to thrive. It begs that you overlook offenses, give incessantly and heeds you not to place all of your expectations on one person.

As goofy and silly (please see picture above) as my hubby may be at times, I couldn't agree more with my friend's statement. My husband is my absolute perfect complement. He brings out the best in this Type-A, perfectionist, planned and obsessively organized woman. He is care-free, easy going, friendly, optimistic, spontaneous and tons of fun to be around. He is strong where I am weak. He is the man that God has chosen to teach me what life is really all about, someone who would love me in the good, the bad and the ugly.

I don't know where you stand in your marriage at this point but I would like to encourage you to remember that in marriage, like in surfing, there will be high and low tides. Decide today to ride the waves whether they are flat and comfortable or choppy and messy. Remember that the flat waves allow the surfer to rest and prepare for the big waves. However, the real fun starts when the winds at sea are strong and the waves are at their highest. Right before a hurricane, you may find real surfers out on the beach. They are risking it all to get a good surf because they know the waves will be the most fun to ride then. Likewise, in marriage, learn to use the wind (trials, adversities, difficulties) to your advantage and dive in.

No comments: