Friday, December 24, 2010

All I Want for Christmas

How many of us can say that we have everything we want for Christmas? Probably a handful of people and I guarantee that they are in the minority. Unfortunately with Christmas come the long wish lists and endless opportunities to fill the void with anything we can get our hands on. The only problem is that those material things bring temporary joy that will surely dissipate before the credit card statement is paid off.

The truth of the matter is that we live and are part of one of the most consumer driven, materialistic societies with an unquenchable desire for more. Have you ever sat down and wondered what God thinks of us running around the time formerly known as Christmastime from store to store in search of the perfect gift? Is he pleased when the one day we should be commemorating the greatest gift we could have ever received, Jesus Christ, is marginalized into an unoffensive greeting at the checkout counter, "Happy Holidays."

I can pretty confidently say that he thinks we've missed the target. Rather than focusing on the precious gift of eternal life we have in Christ, we are running around in search of something to fill our insatiable hunger for the ugly four letter word: MORE. I want more clothes, I want more gadgets, I want more _____ (you fill in the blank).

I am embarrassed to admit that I am no different from everyone else. I too, get impatient waiting in long lines, am terribly irritated by the traffic Christmas brings to Miami and am appalled at how short our attention span has dwindled away and rather than enjoy God's greatest gift we are restlessly looking for more. With our actions, I too say, "It's not enough. I want more."

This Christmas I want to be able to truly reflect on the greatest gift I received almost 10 years ago, the gift of salvation. I want my heart to break for those who are literally perishing and share the good news with them. I want the Lord to invade every part of my life until I am burdened to live an unselfishly devoted life to Christ by serving others rather than looking for others to serve me. After all the greatest man to ever walk this earth did not make a majestic entrance, he was born in a manger and came to serve. May His life serve as an example to all of us today.

Dear God,

Forgive me for the many times that I have made Christmas about me when it's all about you. Show me how I can share your perfect gift with others. Maybe it's with a smile, a hug or maybe there is something that I can willingly give up for another family. Lord, it is truly my desire to honor you with my life but it is so easy to get distracted and consumed with the things of this world. May I feel a huge dissatisfaction with anything this world has to offer. May my heart, soul, and mind shout in expectant adoration, "Give me more of You. You are all I want."

In Jesus' name,
AMEN

You can read about the birth of Jesus here.


No comments: