Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Forgiving Myself

Photo Credit: Timothy K Hamilton (Flickr)

I have a hard time with this. I am not sure if it's because I demand so much from myself; I expect perfection and won't settle for anything less. Maybe it's just that I haven't fully grasped what 1 John 1:9 means when God's word tells us, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us."

Many times the enemy comes to play the old tapes in my head. They sound a little like this, "You're speaking about Jesus?!? What makes you think YOU can make a difference? Don't you remember the time when you __________? And how could you forget what happened when __________." Satan has a field day when I dwell on those thoughts. I begin to doubt whether I can really be used by Him.

And then the Holy Spirit gently whispers into my ear, "Indy, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" The bible does not say that only a select few are forgiven. No, it is very clear that anyone that is in Christ is a new creation. I am forgiven. The price has been paid for my sins. ALL of them.

I am grateful that God isn't the angry God I used to believe He was. He isn't sitting up in heaven waiting for me to mess up. He is a loving father that simply desires that I know and love Him above all things.

I think this is they key to self-forgiveness.

3 comments:

Vicky said...

So true. Sometimes it is so difficult for us to forgive ourselves although God has already forgiven us. When I compare myself with God and his greatness I realize that if in His perfectness and holiness he can forgive me and not hold all my mistakes against me and love me anyway -then why can't I (such a flawed being) forgive myself?

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Easily I agree but I think the brief should prepare more info then it has.