Friday, October 9, 2009

Can't Afford NOT to


As Christians we are called to give God 10% of our earnings. It's not that God needs it but he wants to make sure that we are obedient to him and show us whether our heart is in the right place or not.

When I first became a Christian about 9 years ago, I didn't even know what it meant to tithe. Whenever I saw that basket coming around I kind figured it was the fare I paid for the entertainment on Sunday morning. Good music, great teaching = $20. That sounds generous to me!

Slowly I learned that the tithe was not a tip that I gave to God occasionally. Actually 100% of the money I have belongs to Him but I give back 10% to support the work of my local church. The 90% left-over is the money I need to be a wise steward of. Will I use a portion of it to help others or will I use it all on my own pleasures?

It wasn't something that I learned overnight, but as I obeyed, God demonstrated his faithfulness. He became the only one I depended on to meet my basic needs. When mathematically impossible to make ends meet, he miraculously provided.

My husband always says, "We can't afford NOT to tithe." Ain't that the truth?

Whether you are struggling with this biblical discipline in your spiritual walk or were completely oblivious like I was, I pray that the Lord will show you the blessings of tithing.

"Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it."
Malachi 3:10b

To read the entire passage click here.