Sunday, July 12, 2009

First Love


Do you remember the time when you first fell in love with the Lord? It was the only thing you talked about. Your friends thought you were crazy, your parents called you fanatics and you could not get enough of him at church. I do! And although it wasn't too long ago, I can't say I've still got those butterflies for God like I did in the beginning.

Pastor Lucas used the text in Revelations 2:1-5 for the third sermon in the series, "Does it Bother You (When Our Church is Cold)?". He encouraged us to remember how we felt when we first came to know Christ. We all struggle with this at one point or another (most of us will struggle with this throughout our entire walk with Christ).

Once you remember then you need to repent from what he called the sin of apathy. He explained that the "sin of apathy" is when we just don't care about what is going on around us. People are perishing, we don't care. People are hurting, we don't care. People are hungry, we don't care. This can be due to the fact that we have misplaced priorities (relationships, jobs, money, etc. taking the front side to God) or we are simply taking things for granted (God's always there when I need him).

So after we remember and repent the last thing we need to do is return to our first love. When I meet someone that has just accepted Christ as their savior, I can see the fire in their eyes and in the way they speak about Jesus; it's written all over their face. I think this is how all believers should look to the rest of the world.

If you are unsure today of whether you know Jesus or not, I pray that the Lord will reveal himself to you in a real way. And if you find yourself where I did, forsaking your first love, I pray that you will return to him.

"Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him."
-Psalm 34:8

*Heart of Worship 10/40 on Flickr by Marculio

1 comment:

The Learning Journey said...

I remember! I'd like to think that although my zeal may not be the same, but the steps I take daily are for Him.