Friday, July 3, 2009

End of the Spear

Tonight at youth group we had a "Movie Night". We watched The End of the Spear which is the true story of five friends that moved to Ecuador to witness to a tribe known as the Waodani. The missionaries are real life heroes who risked their lives at the expense of losing their comfort, their life and their families. They were committed to the call and did whatever it took to bring the gospel to the people in Waodani who may have otherwise never had the opportunity to know Jesus.

It makes me wonder how man of us are willing to go as far as they did. How many of us are willing to lose our life for Christ? If I am honest with myself and with you for that matter, I find that I am not. Sure, I will sacrifice a little bit of my time, I will give a little bit here and a little bit there, but I can't imagine giving up my own life because in the words of Nate Saint, "they are not ready for heaven".

Isn't that what it's all about? Doesn't the bible tell us in Matthew 16:25 "For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it." ? Am I losing my life for Christ?

I pray that today the Lord will show us how to be bold men and women who not only profess to know Christ, but who are willing to die to selves so that Christ can live. Paul writes in Galatians 2:20a, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me." Will you proclaim it with me?


2 comments:

The Learning Journey said...

Especially now, I don't think I'm ready for heaven yet... I want to raise my two children. Family is my primary ministry... it may not be missionary work in a distant land, but for me it starts in the home. So I guess in a selfish tone, I'm not ready to "lose my life for Christ" in the way "The End of the Spear" displays.

Josue C. said...

I think it's amazing that there is men like those missionaries, and that line used by him "They are not ready for heaven" is inspirational and i remind myself that the reason I'm here on the planet is to fulfill my responsibility as a Christian. At this point in my life i really don't know if i can give my life to Jesus for any cause, but i will give me life any split second for a man or woman or child that doesn't know God because i rather give that person a testimony of my commitment and seriousness with Jesus Christ and that may open a door for that person. I try to give as much as i can to everyone and any cause and i try to do it without complaining, but as a human being i flaw, and i mess up a lot.
My goal is to one day be like those missionaries that even though they were human just like the rest of us there commitment and understanding for Jesus and his sacrifice is beyond me and i pray and continue growing to become like them and ultimately like Jesus Christ.
GREAT BLOG by the way!