Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Is the frontal lobe really responsible or are we?

One of the courses I am taking this semester is Educational Psychology. The professor I have is a really cool and fun older woman. She makes class exciting but there are some things that she says that I just do not agree with. For instance, she states that the frontal lobe is the area in the brain responsible for distinguishing between right and wrong. It is like a moral compass. According to her, research has shown that the frontal lobe is not fully developed until age 25. Thus, some states are considering banning the death sentence until after. In other words, if someone commits murder and they are 22 years old then they can not be fully responsible for their actions. It's not their fault that their frontal lobe wasn't fully developed.

As a Christian I have to disagree. Sin is sin. There's no way around it. You know when you do something wrong because you "feel" it and once you accept Jesus as your savior, the Holy Spirit convicts you of any wrong doing. I am not in any way, shape or form condoning the death sentence, I am however saying that someone who chooses to sin will have to pay the consequences. This is a biblical principle (You reap what you sow).

It's scary though to think how many students in this graduate course are taking notes down and are probably taking her word as the truth. That's why it's so important to test everything against scripture and if it violates or conflicts with God's word then we know that something is off. Oftentimes, it is the most intellectual that have the hardest time believing that Jesus Christ is the one and only way to God; they cannot logically understand how it can be so simple to get to heaven. All that we need to accept Jesus as our Savior is faith. Too simple for some but I guarantee that no one who ever accepted Jesus as their Savior ever regretted that decision.

3 comments:

EmCee said...

Studies that promote the removal of accountability or the creation of these meek psychological defenses (not referring to serious psychological, psychotic or mental handicaps) for people who commit crimes frustrate me to no end!!!!! Especially for those crimes that would merit capital punishment, such as murder. I also do not condone the death penalty, but I strongly disagree with this “blameless” attitude. It's really hard for me to accept the notion that someone who has taken the life of another human being can not be held completely responsible simply because their "moral compass" has not fully developed. Give me a break!!!

We are taught at a very young age right and wrong. And for those of us that didn't receive the "moral" handbook as children or who as Indy stated "feel it" after accepting Jesus as your savior can still SEE how others are treated for committing similar crimes. That should be enough! Claiming ignorance of the law or moral ineptitude should not shield criminals from prosecution or punishment.

I realize that the focus of your post was not what I have just spent 2 paragraphs ranting about, but on how your professor's theory conflicts with the word of God or generally how we should be weary of theories that are not consistent with scripture, BUT I had to make those comments or smoke would have come out of my ears like a cartoon character. j/k, I'm really not that intense, it's just my job to be argumentative. =)

Indy said...

Very well said...nice to have a lawyer on my side. =)

The Learning Journey said...

Valid points... I concur with your ideas.

Also, it is puzzling for many to think that accepting Jesus as savior is that simple. We're all made differently and for ppl like me, we think things through and over and over again. Why? Maybe being cautious and fearful of mistakes.

I have to say, although I took some time to accept salvation, I'm so glad I did several years ago. Building my relationship with Him is teaching me how to walk in this life; RIGHT FROM WRONG. Thank you God, for holding on to me and being the ultimate educator!