Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Romance: It's Not a Comedy Part I


My husband preached a powerful message this weekend on dating. It was the first in a series of three titled "Romance: It's not a comedy". What does dating have to do with anything? Aren't you married Indy? How could this possibly apply to you? Well, I'll tell you something, I don't know how but it had EVERYTHING to do with me and where I am in life right now. As I have shared with you in the past, my husband and I are walking the journey of infertility right now. For the past 2 and a half years we have "tried" to start our own family but for whatever reason God has asked us to wait.

Waiting is not a new concept though, God actually asked Adam in Genesis 2:18-22 to wait. God knew Adam had a need for a companion yet he chose not to fulfill his need immediately. The bible says that no "suitable helper" was found for him. However, rather than have him sit around until his wife came along, God wanted him to get to business. He gave him a mission which was to name the animals. Pretty funny when you think about it now, huh? Doesn't seem like a very difficult task, does it? No doubt, God was perfectly capable of doing it on His own but then why would he choose to give the task to Adam? Perhaps he wanted to see if Adam was going to be faithful or maybe God just wanted to keep him busy while he waited. The truth is I don't know; only God knows why he does what He does. If I were to understand everything he did than I wouldn't need God. (I stole this from my hubby. Thanks, Luki!)

When I think about my own life, I realize God has placed a very real desire in my heart. That desire is none other than to be a mother. However He has also asked me to be faithful to Him. Like my husband said, "Could you imagine if Adam decided to take matters into his own hands and try to meet his own need? He might have settled for marrying an animal." I don't know about you but I certainly don't want to get ahead of God and settle for anything less than His best. I know (although I may not always feel it) that what He has in store for me is the best.

Can you relate? Have you been waiting on God to answer your prayer? Be encouraged my friend, remember that He knows your needs, he hasn't forgotten you and he will meet all of your needs.

No comments: