Sunday, July 26, 2009

Breaking out of Prison

I have a very good memory. It is actually too good for my own sake. I tend to remember the little details that others forget and hold on to things that perhaps I probably shouldn't be holding on to.

The Lord knew that inevitably we would get offended (some of us more than others) and that's why he commands us to forgive 7 x 70 times. Does it mean that a person gets 490 chances and then if they hurt you again you no longer have to forgive them? NO. What it does mean is that as God has forgiven us we are to forgive others. We are to forgive on a daily basis and we are to forgive no matter what they have done. Many times it will mean that we will forgive out of obedience to God with our minds and then our hearts will follow.

Lately God has been bringing to light people in my life that have hurt me and I need to forgive. Not so much because they need my forgiveness but because I need to forgive them for me. I have discovered that by choosing not to forgive I am keeping myself in a prison. It is a dark cell filled with anger, resentment and bitterness. When I choose to forgive, I am liberating myself.

Today I choose to open the door of my cell and let myself out. Today, I choose to forgive. Will you choose forgiveness or will you stay behind the bars?

Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."
-Luke 23:34

Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay,"says the Lord.
-Romans 12:19



1 comment:

The Learning Journey said...

There's freedom in forgiveness.