Sunday, December 14, 2008

What is so special about Christmas anyway?


We've been talking a lot about that at church this week. We'll it's actually the title of the series we are currently doing at DBC. I gotta tell you that we've got the best English pastor in the world (I could be a litle biased though...afterall he is my hubby). He's really been doing such an awesome job of ministering to us not only through the music but through God's word. Praise God!

So yeah, today we talked about "The Gift of Joy" and that it is actually a choice that we make every day. He said that sometimes we do not experience joy because of the bad things that do happen to us (illness, broken relationships, financial hardships) or the good things that do not happen to us (not getting something we really want and quite possibly need i.e. raise at work, recognition). Another interesting point Lucas brought up about joy is that it is not dependent on circumstances nor is it instantaneous. We have to work at it by rejoicing, praying continually and giving thanks. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)


I believe that it natually comes easier for certain people depending on their personality types and their upbringing but for others it takes a little more work. I've got to tell you that I am not so lucky and that I've actually got to put some work into it because my tendency is to be Pessimistic Peggy. That's why when I don't take the time in the morning to do my devotional whether it's spending a few minutes talking to God, journaling or reading his word, I feel it (and unfortunately others can too).

Lucas also reiterated something that I learned in life a few years ago. I have already shared with many that when I was 21 I went through a severe depression. It was bad to the point that I did not want to get up in the morning or even shower. I remember sitting in church on Sundays and just crying my eyes out...I thought there was no way someone could possibly be able to produce so many tears. It was bad! I questioned God, "Why me?"

It wasn't until much later that I realized my purpose in it. And I can tell you now that everything I went through when I was a child that eventually led me to that point in my life of utter despair and hopelessness was worth it. Yes, it was worth it because today I know God allowed it to happen because he had a purpose even when I couldn't see it. And it reminds me of this verse in the bible: "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God." 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

So for those of you out there that are going through tough times whether it's in light of the economy, poor health or relationship problems I am confident that God can use, too and He will. It is your choice to trust in Him and allow those things to make you better and not bitter.


Today is the day to choose...I choose JOY!

1 comment:

Carolina Djokic said...

Hi Indy! I would like to share this video with you!
Idk if you have seeing it! muah besos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTOLGB0FzPo