Friday, August 8, 2008

Scars

Today I woke up bright and early to accompany my husband to "El Primer Congreso National de Iglesias HispanoAmericanas Bautista del Sur". I'm not even sure if I got it right but basically it's an event for Baptist Hispanic churches of the South. Seeing to it that I am a morning person I didn't think it'd be much of a struggle and I thought I'd have some good "quality time" with my hubby. Can never get enough of that can we?

Much to our surprise the so-called traffic our friends cautioned us about looked a lot like Miami on a good day. It didn't take us more than 45 minutes to get to the church in Linburg. Upon our arrival we had breakfast and then went into the temple where we had the opportunity to select a session to attend. I of course opted to stay in the women's group. There was a guest speaker coming after all. Her name was Sharon Jaynes and although I had never heard of her it wasn't long before I knew that I was in for a real treat.

Here's a little taste:

"Do you want people to think you are perfect or do you want them to know Jesus?"

I used to struggle so much with this because I felt as the wife of the music minister at church everyone's eyes were on me. I put so much pressure on myself to be that perfect woman. But the truth of the matter is that people don't want perfection, they want to know there is hope for them. By being authentic and sharing our failures and pains we can help point them to Christ. Haven't you ever seen someone you had not seen in years and thought to yourself, "Wow, they've changed so much. I don't even recognize them." That's because they are a new person; Christ HAS changed them. (2 Corinthians 5:17)

I don't know what this means for you. I feel free! If by being me I can help lead someone to Christ then that is the only thing I want to be. Can you think of any better reason to be the "real you"? I know I can't.

No comments: