Sunday, August 24, 2008

My first three days back in the classroom


I have to say that they have been even better than I expected. They are such good kids...all of them. There are currently 17 students in my class, four of which get pulled out during Language Arts and Math so I couldn't ask for a better teaching assignment.


When I told my former Spanish teacher that I was teaching retention/ESE she told me that I wasn't going to get Spanish this year so I was a little boomed out. Just imagine being with those 17 little ones all day...no breaks only 30 minutes to heat up and gulp down my lunch, use the restroom, check my mailbox and emails, and the endless list of things teachers must do in addition to teach. Naturally, I asked myself, "How am I going to survive all year without a break?" But on the following school day guess who stops by. Yup, Señora Perez! I had not even realized that her name was listed on my schedule to assist during Math. So instead of getting Spanish 3 days a week, we get Señora Perez EVERYDAY for 45 minutes. As surprised as I was I knew that it was God's way of telling me that He was in control and He is looking out for his child.


I remember last year towards the end of the school year feeling so frustrated and thinking, "I don't know how much longer I can take of this." I wanted out of the classroom but thanks to one of our wonderful school counselors, Ms. Diaz, my students and my husband I realized that God wanted me exactly where I was. I was called to be in the classroom because I would have access to students in need of something I have and that it was the best way to make an impact in the lives of those little ones.


Who would've known that getting the class that every teacher dreads teaching would've been one of the greatest blessings for me? I can tell you that our God is a mighty God and His ways are higher than ours. And although I didn't know what He was up to, I chose to trust Him and give thanks. And now I couldn't be happier. I am not saying everything is perfect but I think that I am learning the key to contentment.


And I encourage you...whatever you are going through...give thanks. Your circumstances may not change but your perspective will. You will take the focus off of you and place it where it belongs...on God.

1 comment:

The Learning Journey said...

I needed to read this entry. Teaching at my location has been a HUGE change and challenge. I came from an A school of six years; with superb administration; supportive parents; and friendly colleagues. Now, I can't say the same at this new spot. I have to work hard at finding the "glass half full" daily!